So I got some plain wood buttons. There wasn't a huge choice so I settled on some shank buttons because they weren't very dark, or very big or very textured. Sort of like the Baby Bear's middle of the road choices.
I wanted to get them now because it is far easier to put a buttonhole on the pocket flap before you sew it to the jacket.
Here, I've made the holes and set the buttons on the flaps, with the shank in the buttonhole.
The other decision I made was about the skirt pocket facing or lining. I didn't want to use the denim because then the pockets would be too thick and look weird. I had some almost white lining but then I remembered the thinner cotton I used to make the last two white shirts I made so I used that instead. You can't really tell from the photo but the denim is in the middle, the lining on the left and the shirt fabric on the right.
The skirt zipper is a mock fly - a real one is more complicated.
The zipper itself is too long, even at the regular skirt size, 18 cm length, because the waistband is supposed to sit just below the waist. So I sew a zigzag stitch in one spot as a new stop, above the original metal stop at the bottom, and cut off the excess zipper tape.
Here's the fly with just the one side sewed down.
Here's the fly with both sides sewed down. Not too exciting but simple is good too.