I managed to make it to the store (I actually walked one way and it only took me 30 minutes from the Loblaws at Baseline and Woodroffe - I took the bus back) and I got button forms to cover for the light brown suit I made some time ago.
Mum, you were right! The covered buttons look great. I wore this outfit to teach that morning. You may notice some shiny seam binding peeking out of the sleeve. For some weird reason, the sleeves weren't very long and in order to get a hem without folding the fabric over twice, I used seam binding. Not thinking about how it might show. But, I don't think it looks that bad.
In the meantime, I sewed on the sleeves to the lining and the jacket in the wool plaid. Here's how I do sleeves - with tons of pins and no basting.
Then I sew a second line of stitching at 4/8 of an inch (the seam is at 5/8) and trim the excess away. This shot shows the lining sleeve attached and the wrong side of the fabric.
When you push the sleeve flat against the body of the jacket, you can see that the stripes line up.
When the jacket is resting on the dummy, it looks like the stripes are a little low and out of alignment but I think this won't show or matter when the jacket is in motion being worn. THEN I stupidly did not pay attention to what I was doing and sewed the jacket lining to the jacket at the collar with the right side against the wrong side! Then I had to pick out all the stitches without ripping any fibre on the fabric, including the tiny stitches I take at corners so they won't fray when I clip them. All I can say is thank goodness I noticed before I did more than the collar or before I trimmed the seam. Then I went and had a drink.