I have been sewing more than blogging so this may be a little long.
Okay, when I left off, I was still cutting. And I hadn't cut out the skirt. Although I am cutting each piece individually to make sure all the lines line up, the front of the skirt is cut on the fold and I decided to cut the back of the skirt in one swoop too. So I had to make sure all the lines lined up.
If you look at where the plaid lines up at the selvage, you'll see that the horizontal lines (unfortunately for reference, they are vertical in the photo) skew off to one side.
I had to make sure the lines in both directions matched so I started at the fold and turned back the upper part of the fabric and put pins in where the lines converged.
Then I folded the fabric onto itself and put pins in so I could take out the pins that were causing bumps from the other side. That's hard to describe! The above photo shows my slow progress toward the selvage in the middle, making sure that the lines all line up. The lump in the fabric is caused by the pins I put in when the fabric was folded back.
Anyway, I was successful in lining up all the lines for the skirt, and you'll see that later when I sew the pieces together.
I knew the lining would be quite transparent due to its colour and so I'm being careful about making sure notches are trimmed off and such. But after all, it IS the inside of the jacket and not too many people will see it. Speaking of finishing, I am zigzagging all the vertical edges on the skirt because, although it will be lined, the lining will not be attached to the hem and I don't want the skirt fabric to fray and hang down later. I have pinked all the edges of the lining pieces so I am not worried about them unravelling.
I worked hard to make sure that the plaid lined up and this is the back two pieces, sewed together.
Here is the back with the side back and I made sure they matched up where the sleeve will be inset and not so much along the bottom.
Here is the same piece from the right side and you can see how the plaid lines up near the armhole.
I was happy when I ironed open one of the seams on one of the sleeves (they are 2 piece sleeves) and saw that the plaid matched.
Then I was disappointed to discover that the other sleeve didn't match as much. I know, it's under the arm anyway but I worked at it and it should have matched!