So I finished the green jacket last week and have even worn it twice and am started on the blue one but haven't blogged in ages. Sorry about it.
It has been so long, I had to go back to the last entry to see where I left off. Here is a shot of the bottom band, about half on. I sew the blue or inside to the wrong side of the jacket body, then sew up the ends. When it is turned right-side-out, the green side of the band gets sewn to the outside or right side of the jacket using topstitching.
Here's what it looks like when all finished. The topstitching on the outside is all done in green of course. On the inside, I used blue bobbin thread except for the first line of stitching that attaches the folded edge of the band in the first place. That line of stitching never (or rarely) falls on the blue band but instead, falls onto the body of the jacket which in this case, is green. If you go to Flickr and look closely, you will see a line of green thread and only one line of blue stitching where the band meets the body.
I made the tabs with the underside in blue too, so you get a little hint of it at times. Having worn the jacket now, I know that the casual observer might not notice any blue at all unless I had the cuffs rolled up. But I still really like the subtlety of it.
I had decided that I would use buttons and not snaps for this and the blue jacket but I wasn't sure what I would find when I got to the store. I lucked into these shiny slightly yellowish green buttons that work perfectly with the look. I also used blue bobbin thread wherever it was necessary and forgot to change it once when making a buttonhole on the jacket front and so had to rip out a little bit of that one.
Here I am with the finished jacket. I look a little tired because I was in the grip of a nasty cold that wore me out but it's gone now and I'm on to the next jacket! And skirts!