Sunday, April 10, 2011

Placemats and stuff

I do like making some things for other people, especially when I'm working with nice fabric. I started by tearing all the placemat sides into the same size for the print and the other side.
DSCN2321
Then I sewed them right sides together along the long sides, using different coloured threads for the different sides.
DSCN2322
I like to work like an assembly line, so after I sewed all the long seams, I pressed them all open. This made the seam flat for when I turned the mats right side out.
DSCN2323
Once they were right side out, I pressed the long seams flat.
DSCN2324
Then I pressed the raw edges of the short sides of the mats under so that they lined up for top stitching.
DSCN2325
Doing it this way meant that I didn't have to line up ALL the edges and I could get a cleaner line along all four edges for the top stitching. I then top stitched all the edges very close to the seam or the opening (as the case may be). I also stitched in 5/8 of an inch from the outer edge, to give the mats more substance. I decided to go with a flat placemat and not a quilted one. It's a choice. All of my own mats are quilted but I think the flat ones are more elegant.
DSCN2327
Here they are. I made all the napkins and used up every inch of that fabric (they are large napkins). Then I made the reversible placemats in the two colours for the two different recipients.
DSCN2328
My cousin had asked for a tea cozy so I pulled out one I made but don't really use (I nuke my tea when it gets cold). I thought it would look nicer with a rounded top so I drafted a template for that.
DSCN2329
I only needed a little bit of seam binding so I cut a strip of fabric in several diagonal pieces using my self-healing mat and rotary cutter and stitching them together.
DSCN2330
This recipient wanted a burgundy colour scheme, so I machine quilted the two fabrics together with the burgundy on what was going to be the outside. It's always surprising how long that takes!
DSCN2331
I put a little loop for a pull on the top and stitched the seam binding on one side by machine.
DSCN2332
I stitched the second side of the seam binding by hand, so the machine stitched line would be hidden. I think it looks pretty good myself.

I think I'll still make some potholders because I have some scraps left over but I'm already wondering what project to do next.

4 comments:

Terri said...

It all turned out just lovely. I really like the blue print.

Tommy said...

I have watched while my sis made place mats and now I understand why she had some trouble.

I can show her some shortcuts you used and patterns you used. Thank you.

JuliaR said...

Thanx Terri!

You are welcome for the tips Tommy!

steve said...



شركة تنظيف شقق بالمدينة المنورة شركة تنظيف شقق بالمدينة المنورة
شركة تنظيف سجاد بالرياض شركة تنظيف سجاد بالرياض
شركة تنظيف موكيت بالرياض شركة تنظيف موكيت بالرياض
https://www.bfirstseo.com/ https://www.bfirstseo.com/
شركة الاول للتنظيف و مكافحة الحشرات