Sunday, November 11, 2007

Peach skirt, zipper and lining (example of UnderStitching)

Why is it taking so long to finish these things!? I've finally put the sleeves on the shirt but I haven't even finished that seam. Anyway, this entry - the skirt. I decided to line the skirt because, although the fabric is a nice, substantial cotton, it will look better and hang better with lining. The pattern doesn't call for lining but the yoke is also the facing and by hanging lining off the facing, I get a lined skirt.
Peach Skirt
Here is the skirt (inside out) and the lining. You can see I had a hard time "matching" the zipper! My only other choice was a pale pink and it just seemed better to go with the orange. The zipper setting is also overlapped slightly so maybe it won't show very much. Plus I never tuck tops in these days so that tends to cover a multitude of sins - mine and my sewing.
Peach Skirt
Now I have attached the lining/facing to the skirt around the top edge of the skirt. I have ironed the seam allowances toward the facing, as I am about to understitch.
Peach Skirt
Here, I have understitched the facing. Now I just have to attach the lining to the zipper tape and all the raw edges will be encased.
Peach Skirt
As usual, the ends of the zipper don't match up. All I need to do now is fold the higher side down to the inside some more and maybe (if I can) fold the other side up some more.
Peach Skirt
I have juggled with the top edge of the zipper and now they line up with each other. Next, I will sew the lining to the zipper tape (by machine to make sure it is secure). In this photo, you can see how one side of the zipper is sewed with a half inch seam allowance and the other side has a 5/8 allowance that overlaps the zipper teeth.

10 comments:

Becky said...

Gotta love when you can't find zippers to match... happens to me quite often.

JuliaR said...

Becky, for some reason, I can usually get the zippers to match. That's why I commented on this one - because it was so far off. I probably won't wear the skirt until Spring now (too cold!) so I won't know how it wears. But it's at the back so I won't see it anyway!

Anonymous said...

This is an old post, but I'm hoping someone or Julia will respond! I'm having trouble attaching the lining to the zipper tape. You say to machine stitch it. How do you do that without catching the outer layer of the garment as well? Do you have any photos or tips you could share for this? I can't seem to get the hang of it. Thanks!

JuliaR said...

Hey Anon, just happened to be at the computer when this came in. When I machine stitch the lining down, I stitch it from the outside and run down the line of stitching already there from when the zipper itself was put in. Sometimes I don't do that because of the fabric and then I hand sew the lining to the zipper tape. I'll be hand sewing on the skirt I am making now - the navy linen blend. On my next blog post, I will also show pix of the hand sewing on the floral linen skirt I just made. Hope this helps.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to see that other people have problems getting the zip ends to line up. I thought it was just me. I could have done with reading this before I attempted to line my skirt - I've just realised that I did all the lining inside out! Oh well it's inside no-one will see. Thanks for sharing your work.

JuliaR said...

Sorry about the lining, Anon, but as you say, it's on the inside! I'm still (always) learning from my mistakes. It keeps me humble.

Anonymous said...

Julia,
I am finding a hard time to attach a lining, and zipper on the skirt.
I found it is the most difficult part. I can't do without your sample.
Thanks

Massachusetts

JuliaR said...

You are welcome, Massachusetts!

Anonymous said...

I have to say thanks SO much for making this! I have used this two times for two different skirts. One was my first time ever doing a zipper much less doing linings at all and it turned out perfectly. Using this again for my second skirt with lining and zipper. Perfectly clear, you made it easy! Thank you!

JuliaR said...

You're very welcome Anon! I am glad I could help.