Except for the buttons, I have finished the pink shirt. Even though it wrinkles pretty easily (it is 97% cotton with that tiny bit of spandex), I think I will get a ton of wear out of it. The pix that follow don’t show every stage of the making because I have made this shirt before (it was the first thing I made when I started this blog).
The first thing I show is the inside of the collar, after I have sewn the one side of it onto the shirt. I sewed the collar to the wrong side or inside of the shirt so that I could sew the folded over edge of the collar facing around the outside by machine. In this photo, you are looking at the trimmed seam allowance and the folded under edge of the collar facing.
Next, I show the collar facing has been pinned to the shirt, just covering the line of stitching. As I sew this fold down with the zipper foot, I will make sure that the line of stitching is concealed and that I get as close to the fold as possible.
In this next photo, you can see the inside of the shirt (on the right) and the outside (on the left). You can compare them to see the difference. The line of top stitching on the right side (outside, the left part) is just above the fold on the collar facing. On the wrong side (the inside, on the right), you see the bobbin thread has tracked just below the fold of where the collar was sewed to the shirt. You can also see this same difference in the stitching on the front band.
The shirt as it is hanging up needs a good pressing. I have marked with pins where the buttons are going to be sewed on later this evening, while I am watching tv.
My next project will be posted as one big blog entry. I am making something for my husband and while he doesn’t really read this blog, he does notice when I post new pix to Flickr and I want this thing to be a surprise for him. When I am done that, I will make the yellow shirt just like the pink one.