I finally tried on the grey dress and was muchly relieved to discover that it fit around me, as I had made it in the size 12 and that only fits when I’m not carrying those extra pounds that I am always trying to lose. Unfortunately, it was too SHORT in the bodice! This never happens. I am very short waisted. I have a 30 inch inseam but I am only 5’2”. So I automatically take everything UP in the upper body and this new pattern that I had not made before was no exception. When I put the dress on, the waistline was a good inch above my natural waistline and as a consequence, the belt loops were too high. So I had to pick them off very carefully (the fabric is quite thin and shows every needle hole) and reposition them lower. A jolly pain as you can imagine. (In the following photo, the belt carrier is still in its original position, well above the waist seam according to the directions.)
I did however, manage to find some nice grey buttons in a flat finish and now I have made the buttonholes for them and will sew the buttons on while watching tv. I also got blue buttons for the blue shirt I’d made last before the grey dress and will sew them on this evening too.
In the meantime, I got two lengths of plain cotton broadcloth (no polyester in it but happily, a little bit of Lycra) in a bright yellow and bright pink, to make into little short sleeved shirts to wear with summer skirts (or anything else for that matter). I don’t know why, but I tend to gravitate toward muddy brown fabrics and I want to get some more bright colours into my wardrobe.