Thursday, May 19, 2011

Not another pink jacket!?

So there I was, having finished the reversible pink jacket, wondering what to do next. I got out my new Badgley Mischka pattern, thinking I would use it to make the raw silk fabric that I've had for ages, into a Chanel-like jacket.
DSCN2434
I even got new fabric, so I could make it the first time without using expensive or coveted fabric and not worry about having it turn out poorly. But the idea of the stand-up collar didn't sit well with the loose, scratchy silk fabric.

Then I found myself thinking ahead to the weekend, when we are attending a wedding. It's not like I have nothing to wear! I got out the linen dress and jacket I made last year and wore at the Pink Tea. I wasn't happy about how high the slit in the back went. At the time, I sewed it down so it wasn't so long. But I felt nervous about what might happen if I bent over - would my underwear show?
DSCN2431
So I jury-rigged a box pleat over the open slit.
DSCN2430
I cut a piece of fabric about 16 inches wide, so it would form a deep pleat in the back. I figured out how to attach it to the existing opening.
DSCN2433
And now my dress has a nice big pleat in the back!
DSCN2436
Something prompted me to pull out my well-used vest pattern and I dug out the little bit of left-over pale blue wool from the suit I had just made. I knew when I cut the suit out, that I had just enough fabric for a vest. It might be a bit 80s but I don't care - I really like a vest as it gives me a bit of extra coverage and warmth without being a whole jacket.
DSCN2435
And vest are such fun to make! Almost like baby clothes, because they are small and fast.
DSCN2437
I even made real, working welt pockets, just for fun. When I made the suit, I speculated about brass buttons but ended up with clear plastic which I still like. I got out a treasure trove of metal buttons I have to see if they might work on the vest. I don't think the gold works but the silver might. I only have one of the silver button that I do like (third from the left at the top - I used them on another wool vest I wear a lot), so I'll have to go shopping. DSCN2439 Making that vest reminded me that I had just enough orange wool to make another vest so I pulled out the wool, the raw silk, the lining I had bought for the silk, and some other pieces that might serve as vest lining. Another embarrassment of riches! DSCN2442 I got out the first and only jacket I have made with New Look 6619. DSCN2441 Tried it on and it fits nicely. So I made a command decision to cut out the silk and be done with it. I got the lining a couple of years ago at Darrell's, specifically with this silk in mind. It is substantial fabric in some man-made fabric (acetate or polyester, I can't remember), and funky fun with the print on it. As I was cutting, I realized it would work equally well with the orange wool for lining.
DSCN2440
Here is the original plan, with the silk and the printed lining.
DSCN2443
And here is the jacket body, on the judy. I have fused interfacing to the entire front and around the back neck edge. The fabric is a loose weave so it will benefit from this. I have already started to sew the lining pieces together. As Hannibal Smith used to say, "I love it when a plan comes together."

10 comments:

StuffandThings said...

I love this jacket pattern. I think it would also look great with 3/4 sleeves like the New Look jacket has.

JuliaR said...

Thanks Terri. The brown and white houndstooth I already made has 3/4 sleeves. I really like the look of the 3/4 sleeve but I cut out these sleeves at full length so I would have more options. I can always shorten them later if I think it will look better that way. I am also wondering if I should put a simple patch pocket on the front of the jacket as a bit of detail. The fabric is actually very busy and has a sparkly gold thread in it, so I didn't want to get too fussy.

I got carried away with trim and details on the other jacket I made at http://juliasewing.blogspot.com/2008_03_01_archive.html and consequently, rarely wear it. although, now that I look at that photo of it without the buttons, maybe I should just change the buttons! Sometimes I can't see the forest for the trees.

gwensews said...

Love that houndstooth jacket!

JuliaR said...

Thanks Gwen! Almost finished this one now too!

Savannah Burton said...

I just found your blog and I'm obsessed! MAKE ME ONE!I'm serious :) check out my blog :) I followed you

Alan Bamber said...

Hello,
Excellent blog, if I may be so bold.

Just wondered, would you pen a small article to appear on my blog?

Regards
Alan

JuliaR said...

Hello, Alan, thanks for the compliment. Since you did not leave a link or other means of communicating with you, I can only wonder at your request. What kind of blog do you have and who are you?

Rosie said...

Beautiful pink fabric!

http://rosysky2011.blogspot.com/

Tamara said...

I have the exact same vest pattern in my stash of sewing patterns. I must have good taste like you.

al ghadeer said...


شركة تنظيف مكيفات بالرياض
شركة تنظيف مكيفات بشمال الرياض
شركة تنظيف مكيفات جنوب الرياض
افضل شركة تنظيف مكيفات سبليت
اسعار تنظيف المكيفات
اسعار تنظيف المكيفات السبلت
شركة تنظيف مكيفات بالخرج
كم سعر تنظيف مكيف سبليت
فنى مكيفات بالرياض
شركة صيانة مكيفات بالرياض
شركة تنظيف مكيفات بالدمام
شركة تنظيف مكيفات بالظهران
شركة تنظيف مكيفات بالخبر
شركة تنظيف مكيفات بالقطيف
شركة تنظيف مكيفات بسيهات
شركة تنظيف مكيفات بعنك
شركة تنظيف مكيفات بصفوى
شركة تنظيف مكيفات بالجبيل
شركة تنظيف مكيفات بالاحساء
شركة تنظيف مكيفات ببقيق
نتيجة الثانوية العامة 2019