And I’m finished!
Okay, let’s back-track a little. The jacket was coming together. The next step was to tack down the facing around the neck. I chose to machine sew the facing to the shoulder seams, as I had done with the skirt facings. In the first picture, I am starting to sew the facing from the right side of the jacket (to make sure the stitching is “in the ditch”).
When I was done, I pulled the jacket out from under the presser foot to get a better look. You might note that there is a zipper foot on the machine but that is just because I couldn’t be bothered to change it for this little job.
Next, I ironed up the bottom hem on the jacket. I chose to make a narrow, folded hem as I did on the skirt. Then I sewed it down using the zipper foot.
Finally, it was time to put the pockets on. First I measured where they should go, based on the marks on the pattern. I hadn’t marked the fabric, mostly because I knew the chalk would wear off so I just measured and then placed the pockets. I use lots of pins to make sure they lie flat for sewing. And I generally put the pins in so the points face out, toward the line of stitching so that I can pull them back a little and sew right by them.
In the next photo, I am sewing up to the top of the pocket. You can see how I will be able to ease that pin back and out of the way of the needle. I just use a single line of topstitching to attach the pockets because they are more decorative than functional.
Second to last, I decide where the buttons will go, make the buttonholes and sew on the buttons.
And finally, I try on the jacket to see how much I should take up the sleeves at the bottom. I also made a narrow, folded hem on the sleeves. I had to cut off 3 cm and then I folded up 2 cm, ironed it and stitched the “cuff”.
Here are the two pieces, hanging up!