Saturday, May 05, 2007
The Dress is Done
I measured between the dart locations and decided to use a piece of elastic 6 inches long and stretch it over 8 inches of waistline at the back.
I pinned one end of the elastic to where the dart was supposed be on one side, and ran the elastic along the untrimmed seam allowance to the location of the other dart. Then I pinned the elastic along the seam allowance and went to sew it down.
I sewed the elastic to the seam allowance using a long, wide zigzag stitch, stretching it as I went.
When I was done, the elastic was hidden behind the seam allowance, as it was pressed up toward the bodice.
I took a photo of the dress on my dummy, who I have decided to call "Rose". I was lying awake a few nights ago, trying to get back to sleep. I decided to go slowly through the alphabet, looking for a name for the dummy that resonated with me. I often use the alphabet technique to go back to sleep, instead of counting sheep. Anyway, I got to the letter R and the name Rose just seemed to work. Plus she is a nice rosy colour so there you go. I was just going to put this up as the final photo for this dress but then it got just warm enough to put it on so I got Peter to take a picture (or two) of me wearing it outside.
I like the one with the jacket because the jacket covers a multitude of sins. And I made that jacket too and wear it all the time, along with the dozen other I made from the same pattern. Hey, when a pattern works, I take advantage of it. As you will see in the next entry or so.